Mr Ugur Nedim is the Principal of Sydney Criminal Lawyers®.
He has a distinguished career as an exceptional criminal defence lawyer and has been recognised by the Law Society of NSW as an Accredited Criminal Law Specialist for since 2005.
Mr Nedim commenced his criminal defence career in 1992 as a law clerk with specialist criminal law firm Brezniak Neil-Smith and Co, under the mentorship of legendary criminal defence lawyer Angus Neil-Smith (now retired).
He began practising as a courtroom criminal defence lawyer in late 1998; independently representing clients in a range of criminal & traffic cases.
He regularly conducted difficult & complex defended hearings, trials and appeals, achieving an outstanding success rate.
He started ‘Nedim Lawyers – Criminal Defence Specialists’ in 2001, which later became ‘Sydney Criminal Lawyers®‘ and achieved the status of Accredited Criminal Law Specialist in 2005.
Mr Nedim has represented clients in some of Australia’s highest profile and most difficult criminal cases, including:
- Australia’s largest ever heroin importation trial, which involved the importation of over 600 kg of heroin; all 3 clients found not guilty.
- Over two dozen murder & manslaughter trials, including many arising from the ‘gangland wars’ in Western Sydney;
- Over 100 serious criminal trials including dozens of sexual assault trials, commercial drug trials, complex fraud trials, grievous bodily harm, robbery, detain for advantage, intent to murder, dangerous driving occasioning death, proceeds of crime and various other trial matters;
- Representing companies and individuals for allegations of corporate crime and investigations, anti money laundering, bribery and other forms of corruption, fraud and ‘white collar’ crime,
- Protecting client interests in all types of courts and tribunals, including ICAC, Crime Commission & Coroner’s Court;
- Successful Appeals at every level – from the Local Court, to hundreds in the District & Supreme Courts (including NSWCCA) all the way up to the High Court of Australia.
He has represented numerous well-known senior executives including CEOs of some of Australia’s largest corporations, as well as senior executives of multi-nationals with offices in Australia, several sporting stars including footballers and Olympic Athletes, actors on the international stage and professionals including lawyers and politicians who have entrusted him with their criminal cases.
He is a dedicated, knowledgeable and persuasive criminal lawyer who is respected by magistrates, judges and prosecutors alike.
He fights hard to have cases ‘dropped’ and is consistently able to defend and win serious criminal cases after clients have received advice from other lawyers that their cases have no prospects of success (see Recent Cases).
Mr Nedim has also conducted 4000+ local court cases over his career, with an emphasis on:
- drink driving and major traffic offences,
- drug possession & supply,
- assaults and AVOs,
- fraud & dishonesty offences, and
- defended hearings, committal hearings, guilty pleas, bail applications and mental health cases.
However, he now focuses on serious and complex crime, with a special emphasis on corporate crime and investigations, large-scale fraud, commercial drug importation and supply, and murder/manslaughter cases.
Mr Nedim is a true specialist because he has always practised as a criminal defence lawyer – not a prosecutor, general lawyer or commercial lawyer, which have little relevance to high quality criminal defence work. Over and above this, he has independently carried his cases from start to finish since the start of his legal career – undertaking advocacy (courtroom) work where other lawyers may need the assistance of others.
He has developed specialised procedures, methods and techniques to achieve desirable outcomes for his corporate and individual clients.
He is respected for his ability to grasp large volumes of complex material, identify the relevant issues and formulate winning strategies, and his high-quality work is consistently praised by members of the judiciary.
With Mr Nedim, clients can rest assured of receiving the best defence whatever their particular criminal or traffic law case may be.