Mr Vinny Vijay is an accomplished Senior Criminal Defence Lawyer who is vastly experienced in courtroom advocacy at all levels of the criminal justice system.
Vinny has several years of experience practising exclusively in criminal defence.
Throughout his career, Vinny has regularly appeared independently in a broad range of criminal cases, including:
- Complex Local Court defended hearings,
- Bail applications in the Local, District and Supreme Courts,
- Sentencing proceedings in the Local and District Courts,
- Mental health applications such as section 14 applications (previously known as ‘section 32 applications’), fitness hearings and the defence of mental impairment, and
- All manner of appeals, from licence appeals in the Local Court, to firearms reviews in the NCAT, to severity and conviction appeals in the District Court and New South Wales Court of Criminal Appeal.
Vinny is also vastly experienced in preparing and instructing counsel in jury trials, from commercial drug cases, to aggravated sexual assaults, manslaughter and murder.
He has substantial experience in successfully representing clients in pre-trial applications such as forensic procedure applications and committal hearings, resulting in cases being thrown out of court.
Vinny brings a forensically minded approach to criminal law, ensuring his clients benefit from meticulous preparation and effective execution of case strategy, as a product of Vinny’s extensive knowledge of legal and procedural requirements that prosecutors must satisfy to proceed with cases.
Putting this knowledge to practise frequently enables Vinny to have charges withdrawn or dismissed in court.
He is a passionate and empathetic defence lawyer who is tenacious in ensuring his clients have the greatest prospects of success, doggedly pursuing lines of inquiry – from potential defence witnesses and exculpatory evidence, to forensic investigation by experts – in order to achieve positive outcomes.
Vinny is an integral part of Sydney’s best criminal defence team.