Habitual Offender Declaration


On 28 October 2017, new laws came into effect which abolished the habitual offender scheme in NSW.

The laws mean that fresh habitual offender declarations can no longer be made.

However, the declarations remain effective for those who were declared habitual offenders before the commencement of the new rules.

This means habitual offenders who want to get their licences back early will need to apply to the local court to remove the disqualification periods.

Click on a link below for more information about habitual offender declarations and how to get your licence back early.

What is a Habitual Offender Declaration?

Before 28 October 2017, those who were guilty of three or more ‘major traffic offences’ (eg drink driving, drug driving, driving without a valid licence etc) within a five year period were automatically declared to be ‘habitual traffic offenders.’

In that case, the RMS would add an extra five year disqualification period to the disqualification imposed by the court, for the third and every additional major traffic offence within a five year period. The scheme has resulted in many drivers receiving disqualification periods of several decades.

However, new laws came into effect on 28 October 2017 abolishing the habitual offender scheme.

Despite the abolition, drivers who were declared habitual offenders before the commencement of the new laws will still need to apply to the local court for the removal of disqualification periods resulting from those declarations.

Getting rid of your licence disqualifications

Section 220 of the Road Transport Act 2013 says that a court can quash a habitual offender declaration if it “determines that the disqualification imposed by the declaration is a disproportionate and unjust consequence having regard to the total driving record of the person and the special circumstances of the case”. An application can be made under this section at any time.

New laws also came into effect on 28 October 2017 providing a mechanism for habitual offenders to apply for the removal of disqualification periods where:

  • The remaining disqualification period/s relate to habitual offender declaration/s only, and
  • The driver has not committed a traffic offence for at least 2 years.

Parking tickets are not counted as driving offences for the purpose of the section.

Is anyone ineligible to apply?

You will not be eligible to apply for the removal of your disqualifications if you’ve ever been guilty of one or more of the following offences:

  • Any Crimes Act offence which includes death, grievous bodily harm or wounding by the use of a motor vehicle,
  • Predatory driving,
  • Police pursuit (Skye’s law),
  • Negligent driving causing death or grievous bodily harm,
  • Intentional menacing driving, or
  • Failing to stop and assist after a collision.

How do I apply?

The application is filed in a NSW local court specifying that it is made under section 221B of the Road Transport Act 2013.

The application should be accompanied by an up-to-date driving record and particulars of any ‘pending proceedings’ for alleged driving offences.

A court date will be allocated at the time of filing.

What will the court look at?

On the court date, a magistrate will determine whether it is “appropriate” to remove all of your existing licence disqualifications.

In making that decision, the magistrate will need to take into account:

  • The safety of the public,
  • Your driving record, including any pending proceedings for driving offences,
  • Whether you drove or were in a position to drive during the offence free period (ie the applicable 2 or 4 years outlined above),
  • Your conduct after you were disqualified,
  • The nature of the offence/s which gave rise to your disqualification/s,
  • Any other relevant matters, including the availability of alternative forms of transport and the impact of the disqualification/s on:
  • your capacity to travel for employment, business, education or training purposes,
  • your ability to carry out carer or family responsibilities,
  • your health, and
  • your finances.

Persuading the court

The relevant information can be communicated to the magistrate through:

  • character references from your employer or prospective employer, your business partner/s or work colleague/s, and/or anyone you provide care for, which should explain your need for a driver licence,
  • a letter from you explaining your situation, including the hardship you experienced whilst disqualified and your need for a licence,
  • any relevant medical letters from your doctor/s, or the doctor/s of anyone you are caring for, explaining the need for a licence,
  • any relevant financial documents, and
  • verbal submissions from you (if you are self-represented) or your lawyer inside the courtroom.

Why Sydney Criminal Lawyers®?

It’s only natural to feel worried about how a habitual traffic offender declaration will affect your ability to work and care for your family.

But with the help of Sydney’s most experienced traffic lawyers, you can fight to have the declaration overturned, allowing you to get your licence back sooner and move on with your life.

The experienced defence team at Sydney Criminal Lawyers® understands how important having your licence is, especially if you need it for work or to transport your family.

That’s why we work hard in every case to have these harsh declarations overturned as soon as possible; by proving that an additional disqualification period would be onerous and unfair in your circumstances.

We can help you obtain any evidence to support your case, including character references from your employer or family members to show why having a licence is so important for you.

Our lawyers can then present your case in an effective and persuasive manner to give you the best chance of getting the declaration quashed.

We also know that going to court can be expensive, which is why we offer the fixed fees for applications to quash habitual offender declarations.

So, when your licence is on the line, don’t settle for second best.

Recent Related Articles

Frequently Asked Questions about Traffic Cases How Much Does a Lawyer Cost? How can I remove my habitual offender declaration? What Happens if You Are Declared a NSW Habitual Traffic Offender? What is The Court Fee for a Traffic Fine?