Going to Court? Book Your Free First Appointment

Termination of Pregnancy by an Unqualified Person

Termination of Pregnancy by an Unqualified Person is an offence under section 82 of the Crimes Act 1900, which carries a maximum penalty of 7 years in prison.

To establish the offence, the prosecution must prove beyond reasonable doubt that:

  1. You were an unqualified person, and
  2. You performed a termination on another person, or you assisted in the performance of a termination on another person.

An ‘unqualified person’ in relation to performing a termination is a person who is not a ‘medical practitioner’.

A medical practitioner is defined as:

A person registered under the Health Practitioner Regulation National Law to practise in the medical profession, other than as a student.

An ‘unqualified person’ in relation to assisting a termination is a person other than a medical practitioner, nurse, midwife, pharmacist or Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health practitioner.

A ‘termination’ is the intentional termination of a pregnancy in any way, including:

  1. By administering a drug, and
  2. By using an instrument or other thing.

Assisting in the performance of a termination includes:

  1. Supplying, or procuring the supply of, a termination drug, and
  2. Administering a termination drug.

Defences to the charge include:

  1. Duress, and
  2. Necessity.

What Our Clients Say SEE ALL

  • ★★★★★

    Excellent service and even better results

    I just want to say thank you to Fred, and Sydney Criminal Lawyers for excellent…

  • ★★★★★

    Got me the result I wanted without any unwanted stress.

    I could not be more happier with my outcome. Fred handled my case professionally and…

  • ★★★★★

    Thank you for getting me the best possible outcome.

    I would like to thank Fahim Khan for his professionalism and understanding throughout my legal…

  • ★★★★★

    Honest and respectable Lawyer

    Big thank you to Jason in helping me through my recent case. A great professional,…

Going to Court? Call For Your Free First Appointment