Section 471.1 of the Criminal Code Act 1995 (Cth) is Theft of Mail and is extracted below.
If you require Expert Legal Advice from an Experienced Criminal Defence Lawyer for your Theft of Mail matter, call Sydney Criminal Lawyers® today on (02) 9261 8881.
471.1 Theft of mail-receptacles, articles or postal messages
(1) A person is guilty of an offence if:
(a) the person dishonestly appropriates:
(i) a mail-receptacle; or
(ii) an article in the course of post (including an article that appears to have been lost or wrongly delivered by or on behalf of Australia Post or lost in the course of delivery to Australia Post); or
(iii) a postal message; and
(b) the person does so with the intention of permanently depriving another person of the mail-receptacle, article or postal message.
Penalty: Imprisonment for 10 years.
(2) For the purposes of this section, a person’s appropriation of a mail-receptacle, article or postal message may be dishonest even if the person or another person is willing to pay for the mail-receptacle, article or postal message.
Intention of permanently depriving a person of a mail-receptacle, article or postal message
(3) For the purposes of this section, if:
(a) a person appropriates a mail-receptacle, article or postal message without meaning another permanently to lose the thing itself; and
(b) the person’s intention is to treat the thing as the person’s own to dispose of regardless of the other’s rights;
the person has the intention of permanently depriving the other of it.
(4) For the purposes of subsection (3), a borrowing or lending of a thing amounts to treating the thing as the borrower’s or lender’s own to dispose of regardless of another’s rights if, and only if, the borrowing or lending is for a period and in circumstances making it equivalent to an outright taking or disposal.
Why Sydney Criminal Lawyers®?
Choosing the right legal team to defend your reputation and interests can be a difficult process.
However, it is always important to look at a firm’s experience and results when making this decision.
At Sydney Criminal Lawyers®, we have extensive experience defending and winning some of the most complex criminal matters – so you can rest assured that you are in safe hands.
Our criminal law specialists will take the time in every case to carefully scrutinise all the evidence in order to identify problems with the prosecution case at an early stage in the proceedings.
Where issues are found, our lawyers will write to the prosecution asking to have the charges dropped on this basis – often sparing our clients the considerable time and expense associated with defended hearings.
However, should your matter proceed to court, our senior lawyers will represent you and present a strong defence case to maximise your chances of being found ‘not guilty.’
Our senior lawyers are highly skilled advocates who have been recognised for their expert knowledge of the criminal law, as well as their ability to obtain excellent results in difficult cases.
We can assist you in avoiding the harsh penalties imposed by the law if you simply wish to plead guilty – in these cases, our experienced advocates can prepare and present compelling sentencing submissions which focus on any positive factors of your case.
For the best defence in your case, get the experts on your side today. Call us now on
(02) 9261 8881 and book your FREE first conference with our criminal law specialists.