Section 183 of the Customs Act 1901 (Cth) deals with Liability of Agents and is extracted below.
Our exceptional criminal lawyers are vastly experienced and highly successful in defending Customs Act cases.
Call us today on (02) 9261 8881 for a free first appointment.
183 Agents personally liable
(1) Where a person is, holds himself or herself out to be or acts as if he or she were the agent of an owner of goods for the purposes of the Customs Acts, that person shall, for the purposes of the Customs Acts (including liability to penalty), be deemed to be the owner of those goods.
(2) Where a customs broker is the agent of an owner of goods for the purposes of the Customs Acts and a person who is, holds himself or herself out to be or acts as if he or she were a nominee of that customs broker acts in relation to those goods, that person shall, for the purposes of those Acts, (including liability to penalty), be deemed to be the owner of those goods.
(3) Any act done, or representation made, by a nominee of a customs broker for the purposes of the Customs Acts shall be deemed to be an act done or, a representation made, by that customs broker.
(4) Nothing in this section shall be taken to relieve any owner from liability.
Why Sydney Criminal Lawyers®?
Choosing the right legal team to defend your reputation and interests can be a difficult process.
However, it is always important to look at a firm’s experience and results when making this decision.
At Sydney Criminal Lawyers®, we have extensive experience defending and winning some of the most complex criminal matters – so you can rest assured that you are in safe hands.
Our criminal law specialists will take the time in every case to carefully scrutinise all the evidence in order to identify problems with the prosecution case at an early stage in the proceedings.
Where issues are found, our lawyers will write to the prosecution asking to have the charges dropped on this basis – often sparing our clients the considerable time and expense associated with defended hearings.
However, should your matter proceed to court, our senior lawyers will represent you and present a strong defence case to maximise your chances of being found ‘not guilty.’
Our senior lawyers are highly skilled advocates who have been recognised for their expert knowledge of the criminal law, as well as their ability to obtain excellent results in difficult cases.
We can assist you in avoiding the harsh penalties imposed by the law if you simply wish to plead guilty – in these cases, our experienced advocates can prepare and present compelling sentencing submissions which focus on any positive factors of your case.
For the best defence in your case, get the experts on your side today. Call us now on
(02) 9261 8881 and book your FREE first conference with our criminal law specialists.