The law in New South Wales contains a number of offences which are designed to deter people from observing, filming or distributing images of others without their consent where they are undressed or engaged in a private act.
These offences are primarily contained in Division 15B of the Crimes Act 1900, and the maximum penalties range from 2 to 5 years in prison.
Click on a link below to read about the specific offence, what the prosecution needs to prove, the available options and defences, and the penalties that apply.
- Aggravated Voyeurism
- Filming a Person Engaged in a Private Act
- Aggravated Filming a Person Engaged in a Private Act
- Filming a Person’s Private Parts
- Aggravated Filming a Person’s Private Parts
- Installing a Device to Facilitate Observation or Filming
- Recording an Intimate Image Without Consent
- Distributing an Intimate Image Without Consent
- Threatening to Record an Intimate Image
- Threatening to Distribute an Intimate Image
Recent Success Stories
- Not Guilty of Sexual Assault and Legal Costs Awarded
- Doctor Permitted to Continue Practising During Proceedings and Ultimately Found Not Guilty of Sexual Assault
- Not Guilty of All Six Charges of Sexual Assault and Assault Occasioning Actual Bodily Harm
- Bail Granted Before All Charges Dropped Over Sexual Assault and Strangulation Allegations
- Charges of Sexual Touching Without Consent Dropped
- Bail Granted Despite Allegations of Serious Child Sexual Offences
- Not Guilty of Sexual Touching Without Consent
- Client Found Not Guilty of All 10 Sexual Offences
- Not Guilty of All 26 Sexual Offences, Including Multiple Counts of Aggravated Sexual Assault
- Client Not Guilty of Sexual Touching and Police Ordered to Pay Costs
- Historical Sexual Assaults: Women Cannot Be Found Guilty of Sexually Assaulting Boys
- Are 'Pretext Calls' Admissible in Sexual Assault Cases?
- Can I Check if Someone is On the Sex Offender Register?
- There’s Nothing Sexier than Sexual Consent
- Child Pornography and Child Abuse Material Offences Across Australia