Going to Court? Book Your Free First Appointment

When Can I Appeal a Criminal Offence in New South Wales?

You have the right to appeal from the Local Court to the District Court against a finding of guilt or severity of sentence for a criminal offence within 28 days of your case being finalised in the Local Court, or within 3 months if you establish there were good reasons for the delay.

If you were not present when your case was finalised in the Local Court, you can file an application to the same court within 2 years for your conviction to be annulled, or set aside, if you are able to establish it is in the interests of justice to do so.

Appeals against convictions or sentences imposed by the District Court can be made to the NSW Court of Criminal Appeal by filing a Notice of Intention to Appeal within 28 days, and a Notice of Appeal within 6 months thereafter.

What Our Clients Say SEE ALL

  • ★★★★★

    She managed to get both my charges dropped

    Was represented by Rachel Martin, and she managed to get both my charges dropped. Without…

  • ★★★★★

    High level of attention and responsiveness kept up the whole time he was working on my case

    Arvind Jador stepped in and took over my case and stayed really responsive to all…

  • ★★★★★

    Provided great advice and she achieved a great outcome for myself

    Ash provided great advice and she achieved a great outcome for myself.

  • ★★★★★

    Amazing from start to finish

    Having a family member in a horrible situation Sydney Criminal Lawyer were great and Jayden…

Going to Court? Call For Your Free First Appointment

Main Menu

Follow Us

Ask Our AI Assistant

Disclaimer: Response is AI generated general advice only and should not be relied upon without consulting a lawyer.

Saved Articles & Pages


Preferred date for conference
Briefly describe your situation:
Do you have a court date?

Your Review & Rating * mandatory fields

Review Text *
Rating (optional)