Section 431A of the Crimes Act 1900 is Life Sentences and is extracted below.
For expert advice and outstanding representation from Australia’s Most Awarded Criminal Defence Firm, call Sydney Criminal Lawyers® today on (02) 9261 8881 and let our experienced defence team help you.
Section 431A of the Crimes Act 1900 deals with the offence of ‘Life Sentences’ and reads as follows:
431A Life Sentences
(1) This section applies to offences under:
(a) an Act, or
(b) an Imperial Act so far as it applies in New South Wales, or
(c) a rule of law.
(2) A person is not liable to the punishment of imprisonment for life for any offence to which this section applies except for the offence of murder, for an offence under section 61JA, for an offence under section 66A or for an offence carrying that punishment under the Drug Misuse and Trafficking Act 1985 .
(3) Where, but for this subsection, no penalty would be provided for an offence to which this section applies that was formerly punishable by imprisonment for life, that offence is punishable by imprisonment for 25 years.
(4) This section applies to offences committed before or after the commencement of this section. However, this section does not apply where committal proceedings (or proceedings by way of ex officio indictment) for the offence were instituted against the convicted person before the commencement of this section.
(5) Any amendment made by the Crimes (Life Sentences) Amendment Act 1989 altering the penalty for an offence under this Act from imprisonment for life to imprisonment for 25 years applies to an offence committed before or after the commencement of the amendment. However, the amendment does not apply where committal proceedings (or proceedings by way of ex officio indictment) for the offence were instituted against the convicted person before the commencement of the amendment.
Why Sydney Criminal Lawyers®?
Being sentenced to a Life Sentences can have a detrimental impact on your life, career and your professional reputation.
But by arming yourself with the best possible defence, you can avoid these potential consequences.
At Sydney Criminal Lawyers®, our lawyers are experts in the field of criminal and traffic law.
Our unparalleled knowledge of the law, coupled with years of experience fighting some of the most difficult criminal cases puts our clients at a leading advantage when it comes to securing a positive outcome in your case.
Our lawyers will carefully examine all the evidence in order to identify any possible weaknesses with the prosecution case.
Where problems are identified, our lawyers can write to police and push to have the charges dropped before your matter reaches a defended hearing.
Alternatively, if you wish to fight the charges in court, our senior lawyers will assist you in identifying and raising any possible defences.
Our experienced advocates will fight hard to win your case by presenting any favourable evidence in a compelling manner in court and casting doubt on the prosecution case.
We offer a FREE first conference with our lawyers to help you understand your options – so give us a call now on (02) 9261 8881 and take the first step in fighting your matter.