Section 93P of the Crimes Act 1900 is Special Provisions Relating to Geographical Application of This Division and is extracted below.
For expert advice and outstanding representation from Australia’s Most Awarded Criminal Defence Firm, call Sydney Criminal Lawyers® today on (02) 9261 8881 and let our experienced defence team help you.
Section 93P of the Crimes Act 1900 deals with the offence of ‘Special Provisions Relating to Geographical Application of This Division’ and reads as follows:
93P Special Provisions Relating to Geographical Application of This Division
(1) A person commits an offence against a provision of this Division if:
(a) the person does an act outside the State that constitutes the offence, and
(b) (apart from this section) the act would have constituted the offence had it been done within this State, and
(c) the offence involves intending to cause public alarm or anxiety, or economic loss, within the State.
(2) A person who commits an offence by the operation of this section may be dealt with, and is liable to the same punishment, as if the person had committed the offence within the State.
(3) If an offence against a provision of this Division involves intending to cause public alarm or anxiety, or economic loss, within the State, a geographical nexus between the State and any other element of the offence is not required.
(4) The other provisions of this Act, the provisions of other Acts and the common law, in so far as these are applicable, apply to an offence to which this section applies as if it had been committed within the State (for example, section 344A and the rules of law relating to attempts to commit offences apply to such an offence).
(5) This section is in addition to and does not derogate from any other basis on which the courts of the State may exercise criminal jurisdiction.
Being charged with a crime can have a detrimental impact on your life, career and your professional reputation.
But by arming yourself with the best possible defence, you can avoid these potential consequences.
At Sydney Criminal Lawyers®, our lawyers are experts in the field of criminal and traffic law.
Our unparalleled knowledge of the law, coupled with years of experience fighting some of the most difficult criminal cases puts our clients at a leading advantage when it comes to securing a positive outcome in your case.
Our lawyers will carefully examine all the evidence in order to identify any possible weaknesses with the prosecution case.
Where problems are identified, our lawyers can write to police and push to have the charges dropped before your matter reaches a defended hearing.
Alternatively, if you wish to fight the charges in court, our senior lawyers will assist you in identifying and raising any possible defences.
Our experienced advocates will fight hard to win your case by presenting any favourable evidence in a compelling manner in court and casting doubt on the prosecution case.
We offer a FREE first conference with our lawyers to help you understand your options – so give us a call now on (02) 9261 8881 and take the first step in fighting your matter.