Section 25C of the Crimes Act 1900 is Supply of Drugs Causing Death and is extracted below.
For expert advice and outstanding representation from Australia’s Most Awarded Criminal Defence Firm, call Sydney Criminal Lawyers® today on (02) 9261 8881 and let our experienced defence team help you.
Section 25C of the Crimes Act 1900 deals with the offence of “supply of drugs causing death” and reads as follows:
25C Supply of drugs causing death
(1) A person is guilty of an offence under this section if:
(a) the person supplies a prohibited drug to another person for financial or material gain, and
(b) the drug is self-administered by another person (whether or not the person to whom the drug was supplied), and
(c) the self-administration of the drug causes or substantially causes the death of that other person.
Maximum penalty: Imprisonment for 20 years.
(2) In proceedings for an offence under this section, it is necessary to prove that the accused knew, or ought reasonably to have known, that supplying the prohibited drug would expose another person (whether or not the person to whom the drug was supplied) to a significant risk of death as a result of the self-administration of the drug.
(3) A person does not commit an offence under this section for supplying a prohibited drug if the person is authorised to supply the drug under the Poisons and Therapeutic Goods Act 1966 .
(4) Proceedings for an offence under this section may only be instituted by or with the approval of the Director of Public Prosecutions.
(5) Section 18 does not apply to an offence under this section.
(6) In this section:
“prohibited drug” means any substance specified in Schedule 1 to the Drug Misuse and Trafficking Act 1985 , but does not include a prohibited plant within the meaning of that Act.
If you’ve been charged with supply of drugs causing death, it’s important to seek expert legal advice as soon as possible.
Being accused of manslaughter can be a stressful and upsetting experience, however with the help of our specialist criminal lawyers, you can ensure that you get the best possible defence in your supply of drugs causing death case.
Sydney Criminal Lawyers® specialises in drug and manslaughter cases, and have successfully defended and won a large number of complex manslaughter cases over the past 20 years.
No matter how serious the charges are, you can count on our highly respected Accredited Criminal Law Specialists to assist you in understanding the charges and advising you of your options, including any available defences that you can raise, such as duress.
Your liberty is your most valuable asset – so don’t trust inexperienced lawyers to protect it. Call us today on (02) 9261 8881 and get Sydney’s assault experts on your side.