The maximum penalty for the offence of “destroying or damaging property’” is 12 years in prison.
According to the Judicial Commission of NSW, the actual penalties imposed for the offence are as follows:
- Community Correction Order: 29.78%
- Fine Only: 27.26%
- Conditional Release Order without Conviction: 21.18%
- Conditional Release Order with Conviction: 8.95%
- Prison: 6.08%
- Section 10(1)(a) Dismissal: 3.17%
- Section 10A No Other Penalty: 2.84%
- Intensive Correction Order: 0.72%
The average prison sentence for the offence is 7 months imprisonment, and the average non-parole period (or minimum prison term that must be served) is 5.5 months in prison.