The maximum penalty for the offence of “Stealing Cattle or Killing with Intent to Steal” is 14 years in prison.
According to the Judicial Commission of NSW, the actual penalties imposed for the offence are as follows:
- Community Correction Order: 40%
- Conditional Release Order without Conviction: 16%
- Intensive Correction Order: 8%
- Prison: 8%
- Section 10(1)(a) Dismissal: 8%
- Fine Only: 8%
- Conditional Release Order with Conviction: 8%
- Section 10(1)(b)&(c) Bond: 4%
The average prison sentence for the offence is 13 months imprisonment, and the average non-parole period (or minimum prison term that must be served) is 6 months in prison.