The maximum penalty for the offence of “unlawful or negligent act causing grievous bodily harm” is 2 years in prison.
According to the Judicial Commission of NSW, the actual penalties imposed for the offence are as follows:
- Intensive Correction Order: 36.4%
- Community Correction Order: 18.2%
- Conditional Release Order with Conviction: 18.2%
- Conditional Release Order without Conviction: 9.1%
- Section 10A No Other Penalty: 9.1%
- Imprisonment: 9.1%
The average prison sentence for the offence is 9 months imprisonment.