The maximum penalty for the offence of “stealing motor vehicle or vessel” is 10 years in prison.
According to the Judicial Commission of NSW, the actual penalties imposed for the offence are as follows:
- Prison: 50%
- Community Correction Order: 27.42%
- Intensive Correction Order: 16.67%
- s 10(1)(a) Dismissal: 0.54%
- s 10A No Other Penalty: 0.54%
- Fine Only: 2.69%
- Conditional Release Order with Conviction: 2.15%
The average prison sentence for the offence is 11 months imprisonment, and the average non-parole period (or minimum prison term that must be served) is 7 months in prison.