The maximum penalty for the offence of “false or misleading documents” is 2 years in prison.
According to the Judicial Commission of NSW, the actual penalties imposed for the offence are as follows:
- Fine Only: 58.7%
- Community Correction Order: 13%
- Conditional Release Order with Conviction: 10.9%
- Conditional Release Order without Conviction:: 4.3%
- Intensive Correction Order: 2.2%
- Section 10(1)(a) Dismissal: 2.2%
- Section 10A No Other Penalty: 2.2%
- Prison: 6.5%
The average prison sentence for the offence is 4 months imprisonment.