The maximum penalty for the offence of “Larceny” is 5 years in prison.
According to the Judicial Commission of NSW, the actual penalties imposed for the offence are as follows:
- Fine Only: 33%
- Community Correction Order: 26%
- Prison: 13%
- Conditional Release Order without Conviction: 8%
- Intensive Correction Order: 7%
- Conditional Release Order with Conviction: 6%
- Section 10A No Other Penalty: 5%
- Section 10(1)(a) Dismissal: 2%
- Section 9 Bond: 0.008%
The average prison sentence for the offence is 5.5 months imprisonment, and the average non-parole period (or minimum prison term that must be served) is 5.5 months in prison.