The maximum penalty for the offence of “possessing false document” is 10 years in prison.
According to the Judicial Commission of NSW, the actual penalties imposed for the offence are as follows:
- Community Correction Order: 34.48%
- Fine Only: 25.86%
- Intensive Correction Order: 12.07%
- Prison: 12.07%
- Conditional Release Order with Conviction: 6.9%
- Conditional Release Order without Conviction: 6.9%
- Section 10A No Other Penalty: 1.72%
The average prison sentence for the offence is 8 months imprisonment, and the average non-parole period (or minimum prison term that must be served) is 9 months in prison.