The maximum penalty for the offence of “Fraud” is 10 years in prison.
According to the Judicial Commission of NSW, the actual penalties imposed for the offence are as follows:
- Community Correction Order: 34.46%
- Fine Only: 22.67%
- Prison: 16.05%
- Intensive Correction Order: 12.2%
- Conditional Release Order without Conviction: 6.29%
- Conditional Release Order with Conviction: 5.28%
- Section 10A No Other Penalty: 1.96%
- Section 10(1)(a) Dismissal: 1.08%
The average prison sentence for the offence is 8 months imprisonment, and the average non-parole period (or minimum prison term that must be served) is 7 months in prison.