The maximum penalty for the offence of “embezzlement” is 10 years in prison.
According to the Judicial Commission of NSW, the actual penalties imposed for the offence are as follows:
- Community Correction Order: 42%
- Conditional Release Order without Conviction: 18%
- Conditional Release Order with Conviction: 10%
- Intensive Correction Order: 10%
- Prison: 10%
- Fine Only: 8%
- Section 12 Suspended Sentence: 2%
The average prison sentence for the offence is 18 months imprisonment, and the average non-parole period (or minimum prison term that must be served) is 10 months in prison.