The maximum penalty for the offence of “taking conveyance without consent” is 5 years in prison.
According to the Judicial Commission of NSW, the actual penalties imposed for the offence are as follows:
- Prison: 46.43%
- Community Correction Order: 28.79%
- Intensive Correction Order: 13.56%
- Fine Only: 5.47%
- Conditional Release Order without Conviction: 2.84%
- Conditional Release Order with Conviction: 1.97%
- s 10A No Other Penalty: 0.58%
- s 10(1)(a) Dismissal: 0.36%
The average prison sentence for the offence is 9 months imprisonment, and the average non-parole period (or minimum prison term that must be served) is 6 months in prison.