The maximum penalty for the offence of “threatening to destroy or damage property” is 5 years in prison.
According to the Judicial Commission of NSW, the actual penalties imposed for the offence are as follows:
- Community Correction Order: 48.28%
- Intensive Correction Order: 12.07%
- Prison: 12.07%
- Conditional Release Order with Conviction: 6.9%
- Conditional Release Order without Conviction: 6.9%
- Fine Only: 6.9%
- Section 10A No Other Penalty: 5.17%
- Community Service Order: 1.72%
The average prison sentence for the offence is 9.5 months imprisonment, and the average non-parole period (or minimum prison term that must be served) is 4.5 months in prison.